Monday 30 September 2013

I've Got Your Number



20130921-140849.jpg

I've lost it. :( The only thing in the world I wasn't supposed to lose. My engagement ring. It's been in Magnus's family for three generations. And now, the very same day his parents are coming, I've lost it. The very same day. Do not hyperventilate, Poppy. Stay positive!! :)

A couple of glasses of bubbly with the girls at a charity do and Poppy's life has gone into meltdown. Not only has she lost her engagement ring, but in the panic that followed, she's lost her phone too. As she paces shakily round the hotel foyer she spots an abandoned phone in a bin. Finders keepers! Now she can leave a number with the hotel staff. It was meant to be!

Except the phone's owner, businessman Sam Roxton, doesn't agree. He wants his phone back, and doesn't appreciate Poppy reading all his messages and wading into his personal life. As Poppy juggles wedding preparations, phone messages and hiding her left hand from Magnus and his parents, can things get any more tangled?


My opinion: This is the first Sophie Kinsella book I have read for a long time after being put off following reading a couple of books written under her real name, Madeleine Wickham, a few years ago.

I definitely won't leave it as long before reading one of her books again! I had this book for my birthday and was hooked into the story straight away. Poppy is at a charity bash with the girls and showing off her very expensive, family heirloom engagement ring given to her by her fiancé Magnus. When the fire alarm goes off, all hell breaks loose and the ring goes missing. In her panic to try and find her ring, Poppy has her phone stolen, but happens to find a phone in the bin. She takes the phone and ends up linked to it's previous owner's boss and she unofficially takes on the duties of his PA in exchange for use if the phone until she finds the ring. Sound straightforward? Well, as you can imagine, it's not!

The story is fast paced and had a number of twists and turns that you won't expect. Poppy is a fun character who feels that her fiancé's family look down on her. They are all geniuses (or is it geniuii?!) and she feels like they don't think that she is good enough (or clever enough) for their previous son. She works with her best friends and at times seem to have an interesting relationship. A few times when I was reading the book, I thought that Poppy could do much better and should get some new friends. But hey, that may just have been me!

I really enjoyed this book and looked forward to picking it up. There were some great characters and I loved Poppy's developing friendship with Sam. I'd really like to read more about the characters, so would welcome a sequel to this book. I will definitely seek out some more Sophie Kinsella books after reading this!

My rating: 5 stars!!

2 comments:

  1. This is my favorite of the Sophie Kinsella books I've read. They're all pretty similar on a surface level, but I connected to these characters more than I usually do in these light and fluffy chick lit novels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really loved this one and couldn't put it down :)

    ReplyDelete