Tuesday 27 May 2014

You're the One That I Want

20236781

 

Maddy, dressed in white, stands at the back of the church. At the end of the aisle is Rob - the man she's about to marry. Next to Rob is Ben - best man and the best friend any two people ever had. And that's the problem. Because if it wasn't Rob waiting for her at the altar, there's a strong chance it would be Ben. Loyal and sensitive Ben has always kept his feelings to himself, but if he turned round and told Maddy she was making a mistake, would she listen? And would he be right?

Best friends since childhood, Maddy, Ben and Rob thought their bond was unbreakable. But love changes everything. Maddy has a choice to make but will she choose wisely? Her heart, and the hearts of the two best men she knows, depend on it...

My opinion: I loved Giovanna's first book Billy and Me when I read it last year and was very excited to be given the opportunity to read You're the One that I want pre-publication.

The story centres around three best friends, Maddy, Rob and Ben and we take a journey through their lives and learn how they got to where they are today. The three of them met in primary school and hit it off straight away, becoming an inseparable threesome for the rest of their school lives. As they grow older, they change and things happen, but their friendship remains solid until, as teenagers, Rob and Maddy become a couple. Ben has to hide his feelings for Maddy when this happens and has to live with knowing the fact that the girl he is in love with loves his best friend.

I'm going to come right out and say it, I was disappointed by this book. It was nothing to do with the writing which was just as good as Billy and Me. I also liked the style that it was written in and how the story panned out over time. My reasons for being disappointed with the book are, I'm sure, entirely personal and I just really didn't like Maddy. I didn't feel that I connected with her at all, and there were two things that happened in the book made me really dislike her as they were things that really drive me mad.

Because Maddy was such an integral part to the book, this was the reason why I didn't enjoy it as much as I hoped I would, but it wouldn't stop me from reading another of Giovanna's books, or indeed stop me raving about how fantastic Billy and Me was. In all honesty though, I wouldn't read another book about these characters as I just don't care enough about them.

My rating: Three stars

I received an advance review copy of this book courtesy of Netgalley and Penguin UK in return for an honest review

No comments:

Post a Comment