Tuesday 20 May 2014

I Heart New York

11098667

Get ready to meet Angela Clark as she flees the world’s worst wedding for a new life…

It's official. Angela Clarke is in love – with the most fabulous city in the world.

Fleeing her cheating boyfriend and clutching little more than a crumpled bridesmaid dress, a pair of Louboutins and her passport, Angela jumps on a plane, destination - NYC.

Holed up in a cute hotel room, Angela gets a New York makeover from her NBFJenny and a whirlwind tour of the city that never sleeps. Before she knows it, Angela is dating two sexy guys. And, best of all, she gets to write about it in her new blog (Carrie Bradshaw eat your heart out). But it's one thing telling readers about your romantic dilemmas, it's another figuring them out for yourself …

Angela has fallen head over heels for the big apple, but does she heart New York more than home?

My opinion: I have had a few of the I heart series in my TBR pile for a while now, and after reading About a Girl last year, I knew I wanted to read them sooner rather than later.

I Heart New York is the first book in the series and we meet Angela Clark as she is carrying out bridesmaid duties at her best friend's wedding. It all kiks off very early on when she finds her fiance cheating on her in the back of their car at the wedding reception. Within hours and armed only with the contents of her massive handbag, a bridesmaid dress and some fabulous shoes, she flees England on the first flight she can get on. Which just happens to be going to New York. After checking into a random hotel, the receptionist, Jenny Lopez, takes her under her wing and soon she is getting made over, both on the outside and inside, and is considering a new life. Couple that with a fabulous freelance job and dates with two hot men, she embarks on quite an adventure!

I was hooked on this book from the very first page. The scene at the wedding where Angela catches her fiance having sex with someone else in the back of their car is an absolutely mortifying situation, but was so, so funny when I was reading it. The style of writing reminded me of one of my favourite authors, Jane Costello. I really liked Angela right from the word go and thought that she was really brave to go to the other side of the world with no plan and no friends or contacts there, even if she was running away from her situation in the UK.

When  Angela gets back on the horse and starts dating both handsome banker Taylor and hot rock star Alex, I had a clear favourite between them and loved the twist that really proved me wrong in my choice. I won't say too much here as I don't want to spoil it for anyone who hasn't read it!

A fantastic, funny chick lit book which proves to me why I enjoy the genre so much. Pure fun and escapism, with some romance and shopping chucked in for good measure. If you haven't read any of the I heart series, then I can definitely recommend it.

My rating: A fabulous five stars

No comments:

Post a Comment