Tuesday 1 July 2014

Love, Lies and Lemon Cake

22351228


Faye Dobson has lost her sparkle. Living on film star fantasies and vague memories of a marriage that once was, she can’t help feeling that life is passing her by. She dreams of being whisked to Paris for dinner, making three wishes at the Trevi fountain and having sex under the stars. But the wrinkles are multiplying, her husband’s passion is for plumbing, and the nearest she’ll get to Rome is a take-away pizza.

So when Faye meets Dan the gorgeous Australian surfer guy working in the local deli she can’t help but wonder what it would be like to see the world. He is blonde, tanned, ten years younger and bakes the most amazing lemon cake. Unlike her husband Dan actually listens to Faye, his smile makes her feel fizzy inside, and when he smiles... Oh. My. God.

But is Faye being silly? What would Dan see in someone like her? Even if he did have feelings for her, could she give everything up to be with him?

A laugh-out-loud, bittersweet comedy about taking your life back before it’s too late.


My opinion: I jumped at the chance to read this book when I was offered an advance copy. The blurb sounded right up my street and I couldn't wait to get stuck in.


Faye is a 42 year old hairdresser whose daughter has left home for university, and her husband is more interested in servicing an Indesit dishwasher than her. When she finds the living list she wrote when she felt like life was one big adventure, she can't help think that there is more to life than washing hair and cooking dinner for her husband. After deciding to do something about her need to start living again, she meets Australian Dan in the local deli. He helps her to discover a new culinary world which is bigger than sandwiches and pasties, and also helps her to start living once again.


I read this book in  more or less one sitting. I really enjoyed it and could have easily read more. Sue's writing style just sucked me in straight away and I really felt like Faye was a normal person and I could have been friends with her. What I really liked about this book is it isn't just another book about cake (there are a lot out there at the moment, and although there are some great books, it's nice to read something different). I also liked the fact that this is a great standalone story and I felt like it was nicely rounded off.


Faye's living list also made me think about my own. I have started off a list, but as I am nearing 28, I am also compiling a "30 before I'm 30" list to try and end my twenties in style. I'll have to keep you posted on both! Although I think seeing a sunset in Santorini will also make its way onto my living list!


A great read and I'd definitely recommend this book for anyone looking for something to read on their kindle around the pool this summer. And I dare you not to fall just a little bit in love with Dan....


My rating: Five fabulous stars


I received an advance copy of the book from the publisher in return for an honest review


You can find a free excerpt of the book here.


Join in with the conversation and tweet about your living list using the hashtag #LemonCakeLivingList with @bookouture and @suewatsonwriter

3 comments:

  1. Love your review, can't wait to read Love, Lies and Lemon Cake! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! I loved this book, it's really fantastic! I've made my own list and I'm slowly crossing off things. I'm about half way, so I still have a lot of living to do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. […] can read my review here and my interview with Sue […]

    ReplyDelete