Thursday 17 October 2013

Guest post: Zoe @ The Book Lovers

I have a treat in store for you today! Zoe from The Book Lovers has kindly agreed to write a guest post talking about her blog, why she blogs, and her favourite genre, NA. I asked Zoe if she wanted to add any pictures, and for some reason she sent me this one....



20131017-194908.jpg


Hi everyone *waves*

My names Zoe and my blog is The Books Lovers. I’ve had this blog for a year now and I have met some of the most amazing friends through our love of books. I started The Book Lovers due to the excessive amount of books I go through (it’s slowed down a lot since I’ve got a full time job now). I used to go through two or three a day, and after speaking to my friends about setting up a review blog and they told me to go for it. I was nervous but I already recommend books to my friends and lend my books out so I thought “why the hell not” and so The Book Lovers was born.

My blog mainly focuses on New Adult with a hint of Young Adult and Erotica. My friends always tease me about reading sex books but I shrug it off because I love the books I read and why should I feel weird about sex scenes? You will notice I go off on tangents, so sorry in advance.

I used to spend a fortune on books, and when I got a kindle for Christmas a few years back that is when I discovered a whole array of books; books that I hadn’t seen in the shops and bookstores and books that were so cheap that I could buy about 7 eBooks for the price of one. I had my kindle for about a year before I started up my blog and if I’m being honest, I had no idea about self-publishing and the whole book community. I just downloaded books that looked awesome. My first NA book was actually Beautiful Disaster – Jamie McGuire. I had seen it by chance on Amazon and once downloaded I read it straight away. I adored it.

So when I began my blog, I had no one to show me the ropes, I had to figure out everything alone. From knowing what books tours were, to wondering what on earth Arcs were and how to join in with everything I saw on my TL. I think that’s why I always go that extra mile to help new blogs out because I know how lost I was when I first started and I’d hate for anyone to feel that way when they first begin.

Over the course of the months, I had built up my blog, knew what I was doing and making friends and author friends along the way. I support new blogs, new authors and I love promoting their work and chatting with them. Self-pub authors really are the best. Of course all authors appreciate their readers and fans, but I think without us, self-pub authors wouldn’t get the light of day, and that is why I love them. They are so gracious that you want to read their book, that you leave a glowing review and that you just love their books. I have a great group of author friends and I’m so happy to actually call them friends. I am actually meeting up with a few (and my lovely book blog friends) in November for a book event and I cannot express my excitement. I’ve been chatting to them for moths and now it’s time to meet them!

Sheli asked me to write my top indie authors and dear god, there are just so many, but I’m going to narrow it down to the ones that have supported me and my blog and I have been with from the very start.

1)      Karli Perrin – Author of April Showers and April Fools (Out Dec 2013)

2)      Emma Hart – Author of The Memories series, Mauve Legacy series, The Game series

3)      Kerry Heavens – Author of Just Human and Still Human

4)      Rachel Brookes – Author of Just Breathe

5)      Laura Beege – Author of These Things About Us

6)      Terri Anne Browning – Author of The Rocker series

7)      Jade C Jamison – Author of so many bleeding books that I love hahha.

8)      L.M Augustine – Author of Click To Subscribe and Two Roads

 

Okay, so I couldn’t push it down, because I love all of these authors! I have been with most of them since the beginning and I couldn’t ask for better friends. Push aside the fact we talk a lot, I always keep my reviews honest as I would never give them 5 stars just for knowing them. I always give them what I think the book deserves.

But yes, these eight indie authors definably deserve a read. They write amazing books that will suck you right in until the very end where you’ll be like ‘where did the time go?’ You won’t want to put their books down at all.

I was umming and ahhing about adding more to the list, but the majority of the authors I love have been snatched up by publishing houses, which they definitely deserve so fingers crossed these beauties do soon!! (I know Emma has an agent which is amazing news!!)

The reason I love these authors is because they write something different. New Adult fiction tends to focus on issues such as leaving home, developing sexuality, and furthering their education and career choices and in every book you can definitely see some part of the character in yourself, whether it’s the fears, college life, leaving home, finding yourself, having sex – there is something you can relate to in an NA book and I think that’s why I read NA a lot. The one book character I relate to a lot of Camryn from The Edge Of Never – J.A Redmerski. The reason I relate to her is because she’s lost, and she just packs a bag one day, gets a bus ticket and doesn’t know what she’s going to do, she just wants to get away, make the pain go away. During the trip she meets Andrew and he shows her how to live, how to concur her sexuality and let go of her past and learn who she truly is.

And this is what I want to do. Just pack and leave, find myself and find where I belong. Maybe find love along the way too.

I sobbed so much during this book that when I saw my mother, she asked me who had made me cry. She laughed when I told her it was a book. But see, this is why I love the NA genre. You can really connect to the story, the characters, how they are feeling and how they deal with everything. It’s real. Not that other books aren’t, but NA is something I don’t think I could ever stop reading. (can you imagine when I’m forty and still reading about 20 years olds…) but there are so many great authors that you should all just go and read and then come back and let me know how much you love their books ;) big promise I know.

If I haven’t sold you on at least picking up one NA books then I haven’t done my ‘job.’ But I am hoping that if you do decide to take a chance on NA, please let me know what you are reading and if you enjoyed it. Come follow me @TheBook_Lovers and come chat books with me. I don’t bite….too much ;)

A big thank you to Zoe for this fantastic post!! I'm very tempted to try out an NA book now, I hope you are too!!

No comments:

Post a Comment