Wednesday 28 August 2013

The Coffee Shop Book Club



20130826-194032.jpg

Published in conjunction with Woman & Home and Breast Cancer Care, this collection of terrific short stories includes many of the top names in fiction writing today: Fanny Blake, Fern Britton, Elizabeth Buchan, Tracy Chevalier, Jenny Colgan, R J Ellory, Julia Gregson, Tessa Hadley, Maeve Haran, Veronica Henry, Victoria Hislop, Eowyn Ivey, Cathy Kelly, Erin Kelly, Deborah Lawrenson, Kathy Lette, Lesley Lokko, Jill Mansell, Val McDermid, Kate Mosse, Jojo Moyes, Adele Parks, Nicky Pellegrino, Ian Rankin, newcomer Cara Ross, Penny Vincenzi and Katherine Webb.

My opinion: I was really looking forward to reading this book as it included stories from my favourite authors, including Tracy Chevalier, but also included lots of new authors for me to try out!

The book contains 28 stories and I enjoyed most of them. I really enjoyed the two stories by Cathy Kelly, The Internet Date and We'll Always Have Paris. I also really enjoyed The Surprise gift by Fern Britton. I was curious about Fern Britton as a writer and after reading this heartwarming story I will definitely try to read more of her work.

I was most surprised by Last Years Coat by Jojo Moyes. I was one of the few people I know who really didn't like Me Before You, so was apprehensive about reading this story. I found it to be a really lovely story and well written, so will definitely give her books another try!

There are too many stories that I liked to mention them all, but this is a brilliant collection of short stories, for a fantastic cause. I not only read some new work from some of my favourite writers, but have discovered new authors such as Cathy Kelly, Fern Britton and Adele Parks. I think my to read pile is about to get a whole lot bigger!

My rating: 4 stars

I received an advance copy of this book from Lovereading in return for an honest review

No comments:

Post a Comment