Sunday 4 August 2013

Holiday reads



20130804-211545.jpg

I know it's been a few weeks now since I came back from holiday, but hey, this post is better late than never! We had a week away in Rhodes in July and it was just what the doctor ordered. Sun, sea and lots of reading!

When we were away I got through 3 books whilst relaxing by the pool. I read Perfect by Rachel Joyce, An Abundance of Katherines by John Green and The Wish List by Jane Costello. I will get reviews of each of these books posted soon.

I was really interested in seeing what others were reading around the pool. Mainly because I'm nosy, but also as a bit of research to see what books were popular at the moment! I am pleased to say that I didn't see anyone reading Fifty Shades of Grey! Last year almost every other person was reading a paperback of one of the books around the pool, and who knows what the Kindle users were reading!!

This year there were some clear favourites for holiday reads. Lots of people were reading Inferno, the new book from Dan Brown. I read The Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons when I was about 18 and there was a lot of hype surrounding them. I enjoyed them at the time as they were a bit of a revelation about what types of 'grown up' books there were out there. I doubt I will read Inferno though, especially as I haven't yet got round to reading any of his other books and don't feel any real inclination.

Another popular book around the pool was The Hundred-Year Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Ran Away by Jonas Jonasson. I downloaded this to my Kindle at some point last year and started reading it in about November. I didn't mind what I read, but I put it to be side after about 25% as it was fairly similar in style to a few other books I had read around the time. We seemed to have a glut last year of a few books that were quite similarly titled and alike in style, and I think I just overdid it a bit. This is a book I would like to get back to at some point though.

I also saw a couple of people reading A Streetcat Named Bob by James Bowen. I read this last year after borrowing it from my mum and really enjoyed reading about former stray cat Bob's relationship with his new owner. Bob really seems a remarkable cat and I'm looking forward to reading the second book about him that was published this summer.

Other than these books there was a real mix of books being reads, from Game of Thrones to Miranda Hart's autobiography Is It Just Me. It was good to see a mix of books being enjoyed in the sun, rather than just lots of badly written erotica!

Anyway, I had better get on with writing my reviews of my holiday reads so you can all see what I thought and try and make a dent in my TBR piles!

Are you going anywhere nice on holiday this year or have you already been? What are your chosen holiday reads?

No comments:

Post a Comment