Friday 7 June 2013

Billy and Me



20130601-224036.jpg

Sophie May has a secret.

One that she’s successfully kept for years. It’s meant that she’s had to
give up her dreams of going to university and travelling the world to stay
in her little village, living with her mum and working in the local teashop.

But then she meets the gorgeous Billy – an actor with ambitions to make
it to the top. And when they fall in love, Sophie is whisked away from the
comfort of her life into Billy’s glamorous – but ruthless – world.

Their relationship throws Sophie right into the spotlight after years of
shying away from attention. Can she handle the constant scrutiny that
comes with being with Billy? And most of all, is she ready for her secret
heartbreak to be discovered and shared with the nation?


My opinion: It has taken me a few days to write this review as I have had a major book hangover from reading Billy and Me. I wasn't sure if I would like it when I downloaded it, but had seen so many great things about it on Twitter, that I just had to give it a go!

I started reading sat in the sun in my back garden and instantly got hooked reading about Sophie. The intro to the book sounded so similar to my life, just mine happened in a slightly different order. I felt an instant connection with the character and was eager to read on.

Sophie works in a local tea shop for the wonderful matriarch, Molly. When a film crew comes to town to film a new adaptation of Pride and Prejudice, she meets a very good looking young man, who just happens to be the star of the film and a-lister, Billy Buskin. Not that she knows who he is at first. A love story ensues and Sophie and Billy attempt to make a life together in London.

The story is so well written, it could have been written by any of the great chick lit writers, but it has come from debut author Giovanna Fletcher. The story is generally fast paced, but I felt it start to slow a bit when Sophie moved to London. I feel that this is more of a reflection of how tedious her life becomes rather than the writer, but was my least favourite part of the book.

I really enjoyed this book and flew through it. It is a lovely, romantic story. But be warned, parts are heart breaking, so keep the tissues handy and expect some funny looks if reading on the bus or on a sun lounger. You will cry! I would like to read more about Sophie and Billy and eagerly await Giovanna's next book.

My rating: A fab four stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment