Tuesday 24 June 2014

Paper Aeroplanes

18949903


It's the mid-1990s, and fifteen year-old Guernsey schoolgirls, Renée and Flo, are not really meant to be friends. Thoughtful, introspective and studious Flo couldn't be more different to ambitious, extroverted and sexually curious Renée. But Renée and Flo are united by loneliness and their dysfunctional families, and an intense bond is formed. Although there are obstacles to their friendship (namely Flo's jealous ex-best friend and Renée's growing infatuation with Flo's brother), fifteen is an age where anything can happen, where life stretches out before you, and when every betrayal feels like the end of the world. For Renée and Flo it is the time of their lives.

With graphic content and some scenes of a sexual nature, PAPER AEROPLANES is a gritty, poignant, often laugh-out-loud funny and powerful novel. It is an unforgettable snapshot of small-town adolescence and the heart-stopping power of female friendship.


My opinion: As soon as I heard that Dawn O'Porter had written a book, I just knew I had to read it! Unfortunately it has been sat on my Kindle for a while, but I finally got round to it a few weeks ago.


Paper Aeroplanes is set on the small isle of Guernsey and we get to know unlikely teenage friends, Renee and Flo. They come from different, but equally dysfunctional families and are trying to find their way through all of the trials which teenage years bring. These include school, families, and most definitely boys.


I was hooked by this story straight away and it was a bit like being told a story by an old friend. Dawn's writing style is relaxed and draws you in, but believe me, there is no stone left unturned in the life of these teenagers! I found Renee and Flo easy to relate to, but they both made me wonder whether I had a sheltered time as a teenage girl as I never got in half the trouble they do, particularly with boys! I thought the character of Sally was quite genius too, as this sort of "friend" is very rarely depicted in either books or tv programmes, but most certainly exists in real life.


I think this book could become a cult sort of novel and should definitely be read by all women, both teenage and older to get a glimpse into these girls lives in all its gory glory! I'm looking forward to reading the next in the series.


My rating: Four stars

No comments:

Post a Comment