Sunday 23 March 2014

The Vintage Girl

20582366

When Evie Nicholson is asked to visit Kettlesheer Castle in Scotland to archive the family heirlooms, she jumps at the chance. Evie's passion for antiques means that, for her, the castle is a treasure trove of mysteries just waiting to be uncovered.

But in each heirloom lies a story, and in the course of her investigations Evie stumbles upon some long-buried family secrets. Add handsome, gloomy heir Robert McAndrew and a traditional candlelit gala to the mix, and Evie's heart is sent reeling with an enthusiasm that may just extend beyond the Kettlesheer silver...

My opinion: As soon as I saw this book, I knew I wouldn't be able to resist it's gorgeous cover and a story about castles, antiques and love!

Evie is an antiques dealer with a soft spot for items that tell a story, particularly moth eaten teddy bears and photographs, anything that gives a clue about the life of it's former owner. This tends to get her into a spot of trouble with her boss though. She is offered the chance of a lifetime to go to Kettlesheer Castle in Scotland to go through their treasures to help save their home, and get back into the good books of her boss and save her own job.

Whilst at the castle, she gets a glimpse into how the other half live, a past existence and the secrets of a family. Due to the lack of mobile signal and internet up at the castle Evie ends up getting to know the very handsome Robert and ends up getting more out of her trip than she expected.

I really enjoyed this book and looked forward to picking it up whenever I had a spare moment. The story was well paced and I really liked that it had the antiques element in there as it made it a little different from other books that are out there at the moment. The writing was really good, but I have one nit-picky thing that annoyed me slightly about the book. There were lots of American spellings throughout the book (not a major issue, but I prefer when this has been picked up and altered for a British audience - particularly when set in Britain with British characters) and a few Americanisms crept in such as turn signal instead of indicator, resume instead of CV and Where's Waldo instead of Where's Wally. When these Americanisms crept in, they just didn't ring true with the characters who were all born and bred Brits.

Like I said, that is a nit picky comment on something which annoyed me a bit, but didn't take away from my enjoyment of the book. It was a great story and I will definitely read more books by Hester Browne.

My rating: Four stars

No comments:

Post a Comment